Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chili With All The Fixings



We had some cold weather and rain, so I ran out and bought the makings for chili. It was nice to be snuggled up inside, watching the rain out the window with the stove bubbling with delicious aromas.

After all of this exciting cold weather, we are in a heat wave.

It's true.

Today will be a high of 81°. Sigh.

Although, I do feel it's hard to complain about nice weather, somehow I managed to. I do love beautiful weather, I'm just ready for Fall. The leaves have started to change, but it will take that much longer if the weather doesn't cool down.

Ok, enough of that. Chili recipe after the jump...Hope you enjoy it!


This is an approximation since it is a recipe on the fly.

2 large onions (be warned, I adore onions)
1/3 cup chili powder
2 lbs 98% fat free ground turkey (if you don't want it as meaty, feel free to use 1lb / 1 package.  Also, feel free to use any ground meat of your choice.)
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
Pepper to taste
2 large cans (28oz) peeled tomatoes including juice. I like to use CENTO San Marzano. You can use diced tomatoes if you like. I just think the whole tomatoes taste better for some reason.
1 can tomato paste
3 cans of beans, drained. I love pinto beans, but you can use any that appeal to you.

Cook meat with spices in pan. Add diced onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, then add remaining canned goods. Turn down heat to low and cook for a couple of hours. The longer it cooks the better. Add additional seasonings as needed. If it is too thick, add water. I have never had to do this, but just in case.

Plate and enjoy!

PS - Tony thinks I am crazy for adding avocado to my bowl, but I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment